From some of the reviews, it seems I need to explain how the Air Soccer controls work on both WP7 and Windows 8.
1. You can find detailed help screens in WP7 version:
Just click the”Help” icon on the main Menu screen. There are about 8 help pages with pictures. Just flip through them left/right to go back and forth between the help pages
2. You can find detailed help screens in Windows 8 version:
On the main Menu screen – pull up the Settings Charm and select “Tutorial”. There about 8 help pages with pictures. Just flip through them left/right to go back and forth between the help pages. You can pull up the settings charm on a windows 8 touch device by swiping in from the right edge of the device. Make sure you are on the main menu screen when you do this. On a desktop/laptop, just do a “Windows + I” key combo OR take your mouse pointer to the lower right corner of the screen.
Also note that there are many settings available on the settings charm. In the Gameplay settings you can increase the AI/Skill level from beginner to amateur to professional to world class. if beginner is too easy for you try professional 🙂 World class is way crazy!!
This video review clearly shows all options and gameplay mechanics on how to play Air Soccer on both Windows Phone 7 as well as Windows 8 devices. Direct Link to YouTube Video
Besides the help screens available in the game here are some pointers for both WP7 and Windows 8 version:
First and foremost, Air soccer has resemblance to Air Hockey, but its not Air Hockey. You have 3 strikers per team and you DONT “hold” and “move” your striker with your finger tip. Instead, You swipe / flick with your finger over any one of your strikers in the direction of the ball. Its much easier to do on a touch device of course.
With a mouse, you will need to
- press the left mouse button down (left click start)
- drag the mouse pointer quickly over a striker in the direction of the ball
- release the left mouse button (left click release/end)
So thats just about it as far as controls. BUT then there is the thing with the turn switch and I think thats what gets very confusing for the beginner players. Its very easy, IF you know how it works 🙂
- Air Soccer is a dynamic turn based game – pay attention to the word dynamic 🙂
- You can only swipe/move ONE of your strikers at a time
- You can only swipe/move your striker when your team is ACTIVE
- On Windows 8, Your team is ACTIVE when your strikers start that swiggly / rotation motion
- On Windows 8, Your team is NOT active when your strikers are dimmed down and become semi-transparent
- You can change the turn indicator in the settings section
- Only ONE team can make a move at a time
- As soon as Team A makes its move, Team B is automatically activated SO dont wait for the ball or strikers to come to a stand still before you make your move. Make your move immediately to save your goal OR score a goal.
- If Team A doesnt make a move within 6 seconds, Team B is activated automatically. (6 seconds is max turn time in beginner mode, 4 seconds is max turn time in World class mode)
You tube videos that will help:
1. Air Soccer Menu & Game controls on WP7 (is relevant for Windows 8 as well)
2. WPCentral review video on WP7 Gameplay (is relevant for Windows 8 as well)